We are looking to recruit a suitable candidate for the position of Legal Advisor II in our Legal Department. This position will be based at our Head Office in Woodstock and will report to Head of Legal & Co Secretary.
- Identify and mitigate legal risks to the Group, and provide input on strategy to all functions within the Group with an emphasis on legal strategy.
- Conduct legal research, draft legal opinions and provide legal advice to the Group in respect of commercial, corporate and intellectual property matters, as well as regulatory and compliance matters.
- Draft, review and assist with the negotiation of various commercial contracts on behalf of the Group. This includes developing an understanding of the respective businesses within the Group, supporting the businesses in negotiations with third parties when required, and considering and advising on the terms of such contracts.
- Assist with managing the Group’s intellectual property portfolio and the settlement of intellectual property disputes.
- Assist with legal aspects of trade disputes (litigious and non-litigious).
- Monitor and manage the Group’s expenditure on external legal service providers, by ensuring efficient resource allocation and utilisation, and negotiating and agreeing fee structures.
- Assist with the design, implementation and management of contract drafting, contract management and matter management software to aid in the delivery of legal services to the Group, and to expedite the negotiation and conclusion of contracts within the Group.
- Monitor, inform and advise on developments in the law and industry guidelines which impact the Group, and where necessary assist in compiling comments on prospective regulations.
- Provide and facilitate training to employees of the Group.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders of the Clicks Group.
- LLB, BCom LLB, or BA LLB degree (Essential)
- Admitted attorney or advocate at the Bar (Essential)
- Postgraduate diploma/certificate or master’s degree in law or business (Desirable)
- 5 years post admission experience in a top tier law firm, in-house legal department of a listed or multi-national corporate, or at the Bar (Essential)
- Experience in the retail industry (including ecommerce) (Desirable)
- Experience in manufacturing, wholesale and/or retail pharmacy (Desirable)
- Working knowledge of corporate, commercial and intellectual property law (Desirable)
- Knowledge of commercial, corporate, and intellectual property law (Essential)
- Business acumen (Essential)
- Knowledge of the regulatory and business frameworks applicable to the retail industry (including ecommerce); manufacturing, wholesale and/or retail pharmacy (Desirable)
- Knowledge of contract management and drafting software (Desirable)
- Technical legal ability:
- Ability to identify and mitigate legal risk
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to plan and prioritize numerous competing tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate well orally and in writing
- Solution focused and offering practical advice that supports the needs and strategy of the relevant business unit
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Business acumen
- Ability to operate MS Word
- Ability to operate contract management and drafting systems
- Plain language drafting
- Ability to conduct and facilitate training
- Delivering Results & Meeting Customer Expectations
- Persuading and Influencing
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking
- Applying Expertise and Technology
- Adhering to Principle and Values
- Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
- Relating and Networking